Seaterm Revision History
Version 1.59 latest
Brief description of Seaterm | Download instructions |
Download from FTP site
| Software FAQs
The Revision History describes each version of software -- including bug
fixes, modifications, and new features. You may not need the latest version; our revisions
often include improvements and new features which may have little or no impact on your
operation. Review this site regularly to view the latest changes.
Version # listing:
Seaterm VERSION 1.59
10 October 2007
- For computers that are not set to English language --
For some languages, data recorded in an uploaded data file could not be viewed
by Seasave V7, because Seasave V7 could not recognize the date in the file
header. Seaterm was revised to always write the date in the uploaded header in
English, regardless of the language setting on the computer.
- SBE 25 -- On some new computers, upload did not work.
- SBE 39 -- Binary upload did not work.
- SBE 50 -- Coefficients button on Toolbar and Data
Coefficients in Data menu did not work, because Seaterm sent an incorrect
Seaterm VERSION 1.58
09 July 2007
- Added compatibility with Windows Vista to Help files.
Seaterm VERSION 1.57
30 January 2007
- Fixes an upload error that occasionally caused the
first few scans of each uploaded block to be dropped.
Seaterm VERSION 1.56
- SBE 25: Fixes an upload error.
SBE 37: Fixes a status parsing error.
Cycle baud selection: Fixes selection of Communications -> Options -> Connect
at default baud only. Previously, when you closed and re-opened Seaterm, the
selection would always change to "Cycle baud when connecting".
Seaterm VERSION 1.55
- SBE 39, firmware version 3.0a: Seaterm would always perform an ASCII
upload, even if binary upload was selected.
Seaterm VERSION 1.54
- SBE 39-IM: For binary uploads, fixes timing problems and increases the
block size from 350 to 5000.
Seaterm VERSION 1.53
- SBE 19: Fixes a status parsing error for SBE 19 firmware revision 2.1e.
Seaterm VERSION 1.52
- SBE 36: Configure now allows selection of 8 data bits and no parity, to
provide compatibility for an SBE 19plus CTD used with an SBE 36 with
firmware version 2.3 of the NMEA Interface PCB.
Seaterm VERSION 1.51
- Compatibility with the SBE 39-IM was added.
Seaterm VERSION 1.50 *
- A new software utility, Cnv37IMHex.exe, is automatically installed when
Seaterm is installed, in the same directory as Seaterm.
Uploading data from an inductive modem MicroCAT (SBE 37-IM or 37-IMP) takes a
significant amount of time, because the MicroCAT communicates with the Surface
Inductive Modem at 1200 baud. SBE 37-IM Format 0 to ASCII Converter
(Cnv37IMHex.exe) quickly converts a hexadecimal file (#iiFormat=0) to
one identical to data uploaded with #iiFormat=1 (ASCII engineering
units), providing the benefits of a faster, hexadecimal upload with
easy-to-use converted output. For a full memory of 185,000 samples of
conductivity, temperature, pressure, and date and time, uploading in hex takes
10 hours vs. 23 hours for uploading in ASCII engineering units.
Note that the version number of Seaterm did not change, and is still
1.50, because Seaterm itself remains unchanged, but the version of Seaterm on
the ftp site that shows a modified date of 8/15/2005 automatically installs
To use Cnv37IMHex.exe (see the MicroCAT manual for details on programming the MicroCAT
and uploading data):
1. Send #iiFormat=0 (ii = MicroCAT ID) to your MicroCAT (set the
format before or after the data is collected).
2. Upload the data.
3. Run Cnv37IMHex.exe. Select the input file, and click Convert File.
The program appends _hta to the file name for the output file, to prevent
overwriting the upload data file. For example, if your hex data file name is
test.asc, the output file name will be test_hta.asc.
Seaterm VERSION 1.50
- SBE 19 with custom firmware version 21321-3.1d:
Seaterm can upload up to
Seaterm VERSION 1.49
6 October 2004
- 37-SM / 37-SMP: Uploading caused a serial buffer overrun error if the
MicroCAT was set up to output both salinity and sound velocity (OUTPUTSAL=Y
Seaterm VERSION 1.48
12 May 2004
- Compatibility with the RS-485 version of the SBE 16plus was added.
- The Diagnostic button on the Toolbar did not work properly for the SBE 16plus,
16plus-IM, and 19plus.
Seaterm VERSION 1.47
26 April 2004
- If header prompts were entered in the Configure / Header form,
a space to the beginning of each header prompt each time the .ini file was
- The instrument type was not inserted in the first line of an
uploaded data file.
Seaterm VERSION 1.46
19 April 2004
- If All as a single file was selected on the Upload Settings tab of the Configuration Options dialog box,
did not save the upload setting. The next time the user opened Seaterm, they
would need to set it again.
- If the user minimized
Seaterm before closing
it, the next time the user opened Seaterm it would open minimized and was
difficult to resize.
- SBE 16, 19, 25 -- If the Configuration Options dialog
box was not opened during a Seaterm session, and data upload was then
attempted, the upload baud rate was not set correctly.
and 19plus -- Baud rate of 600, which is supported by the SBE 16plus
and 19plus, was not listed on the COM Settings tab of the Configuration
Options dialog box for those instruments.
Seaterm VERSION 1.45
08 April 2004
- If a baud rate above 19200 was selected on the COM Settings tab of the
Configuration Options dialog box, Seaterm created a corrupt .ini file; the
next time the user opened Seaterm, it would not be able to reopen the .ini
- If Prompt for header information was selected on the Header
Information tab of the Configuration Options dialog box, Seaterm
sometimes did not prompt for headers when uploading data.
Seaterm VERSION 1.44
01 March 2004
- Seaterm did not switch baud rates correctly for an SBE 16 (not 16plus)
using a different baud rate for data upload than for general communication.
gave an error message if temperature and/or conductivity sensor serial numbers
for an SBE 17 or 25 were long.
Seaterm VERSION 1.43
24 November 2003
- Seaterm did not release comm port when switching from comm port 1 to 2.
- Seaterm uploaded data from SBE 35, 37, and 39 to .hex file instead of
.asc file. This bug was introduced in version 1.40.
- Seaterm could not upload data from SBE 16plus by scan range.
- When using SBE 37 and clicking Stop button on Seaterm's toolbar, message
box said 'halting --' instead of 'halting SBE 37'.
Seaterm VERSION 1.42
17 October 2003
- Prompt for ID was incorrectly disabled when using IM instruments.
This bug occurred only in version 1.40.
- Default baud rate for SBE 21 was changed to 9600 baud, to correspond to
new version of AC-powered Interface Box (PN 90488) that is shipping with SBE
- Send 5 second break in Communication menu was enabled for all
instruments, to allow for its use with SeaCATs and Sealogger used with new
version of AC-powered Interface Box (PN 90488).
- Hot key (ctrl+b) was defined for Send 5 second break in
Seaterm VERSION 1.40
27 August 2003
- An invalid baud rate, data bit, and parity sometimes appeared in
Configuration Options dialog box because Seaterm was accessing an .ini file
for the wrong instrument. Seaterm now creates just one .ini file,
SeaTerm.ini. Last saved settings for each instrument type (SBE 19, 21, 25,
etc.) are stored in SeaTerm.ini, which is saved to your Windows directory.
Seaterm VERSION 1.33
20 December 2002
- SBE 25 -- An invalid baud rate of 4800 sometimes appeared in the upload
baud rate list.
- SBE 49 -- The status bar showed an upload type selection, even though the
SBE 49 has no memory.
- SBE 37 (SBE 37-IM and 37-SM)
-- When using the Convert utility, the user-entered pressure was
not reset to 0 between conversions.
Seaterm VERSION 1.32
24 September 2002
- SBE 16plus-IM -- Upload block size was changed to 200, to prevent
the Surface Inductive Modem (SIM) from timing out.
Seaterm VERSION 1.31
11 July 2002
- SBE 16plus and
19plus -- Block size calculation for uploads
was added, to accommodate large scan lengths for systems with three Gas
Tension Devices (GTDs).
Seaterm VERSION 1.30
28 May 2002
- Timing error on fast computers was fixed.
Seaterm VERSION 1.29
23 May 2002
- Incompatibility when running on Windows 2000 was fixed.
Seaterm VERSION 1.28
22 May 2002
- Timing errors for status, header, and upload for SBE 35
and 35RT were corrected.
- Initialization error the first time the program runs after installation
- Diagnostics (button and in Utilities menu) did not work for the SBE 19plus.
- Binary upload for the SBE 39 did not work.
Seaterm VERSION 1.27
9 May 2002
- For Win 2000 and Win XP, trying to upload data by cast number range
or all separated by cast incorrectly caused Seaterm to upload all
data in memory.
- Ability to select and communicate with new product, SBE 50 Digital
Oceanographic Pressure Sensor, has been added.
- Ability to select SBE 33 Carousel Deck Unit and
SBE 36 CTD Deck Unit has
been added, making setup more straightforward. Previously, you could
communicate with these Deck Units only by selecting a CTD which had
compatible communication parameters.
- Support of user-selectable binary upload for SBE 39 firmware 1.7 or
greater has been added, providing faster upload for large data files.
- Convert capability (to convert .asc file to .cnv file) for SBE 39
added. Previously, converting an SBE 39 .asc file required use of the DOS
- Convert utility has been improved for the SBE 37 (37-SM
Seaterm VERSION 1.26
9 November 2001
- Version 1.25 was incorrectly released as a debug version. Users
uploading data from an instrument's memory received debug error messages.
Seaterm VERSION 1.25
26 October 2001
- Users attempting to upload data with very fast computers received an instrument not
responding message and the upload terminated after they filled out the header and file name dialogs.
Seaterm VERSION 1.24
20 June 2001
- Configuration dialog box label EPROM version was changed to Firmware
- Startup if .ini file was not found was not handled correctly in version
- SBE 19plus -- First 3 scans of each block of data transferred were
being removed. Also, Header parser was removing cast from header.
Seaterm VERSION 1.23
21 May 2001
- Ability to communicate with new product (SBE 49 FastCAT
CTD Sensor) has been added to the
Seaterm VERSION 1.22
23 March 2001
- SBE 37-IM, SBE
44, and inductive modem versions of SBE 16 and 16plus --
Inductive modem address was not properly captured for automatic ID request
- SBE 37-IM and 37-SM -- A counter in the Convert process overflowed if
there were more than 32,767 scans in the file being converted.
- All instruments -- Upload process did not exit correctly if the instrument
was not awake.
- SBE 25 -- SBE 25 fell asleep and did not proceed with upload if a slow
typist entered an upload header.
- SBE 37-IM, SBE 44, and inductive modem versions of SBE 16 and 16plus --
Ability to communicate with Surface Inductive Modem at 1200, 2400, 4800, or
9600 baud was added.
- Execution priority is shifted to high when Seaterm is uploading data.
Seaterm VERSION 1.21
02 March 2001
- SBE 16, 19, and 21 -- Improved status parsing, so that leading spaces in
the serial number will be ignored and the serial number will always be
included in the upload header.
- SBE 16plus and 19plus --
Upload header did not include calibration coefficients.
Lockout to certain commands while logging was not working properly.
- All instruments -- System response improved.
Seaterm VERSION 1.20
16 February 2001
- Ability to communicate with new products (SBE 16plus SeaCAT C-T
Recorder and 19plus SeaCAT
Profiler) has been added to the
Seaterm VERSION 1.10
19 September 2000
- Any capital S (such as in a September date) was being
removed from the data stream during upload.
- Status button was not enabled for SBE
Seaterm VERSION 1.09
02 August 2000
- Capture to file was not working properly if you selected an existing file
name for the capture file.
Seaterm VERSION 1.08
31 July 2000
- SBE 16: Uploading for SBE 16s with firmware less than 4.0 was not working
- Seaterm's file/directory structure was modified. Seaterm.cfg is no longer
used. Seaterm.ini is used instead, and stored in Windows directory.
Seaterm VERSION 1.07
30 June 2000
- SBE 37 (37-SM and 37-IM): Convert was miscalculating Julian day. It now correctly converts
the day, and resets the year to zero on January 1.
- File naming with the addition of cast number to file name was not correct.
- SBE 19: Last character was missing from header line.
- Header form is automatically sized for the number of header prompts.
- When prompt for header is selected and a cast range is uploaded,
header form pops up for each cast.
- Header form is cleared between casts.
- You can minimize Seaterm, and it will work in background while uploading
- Upload system time is written in DATCNV-compatible format.
- Connect baud rate is stored in .ini file.
- Program tries harder to wake up instrument before sending upload command,
if it has fallen asleep during header entry.
- Menus and buttons are disabled (menus don't pull down, buttons don't click)
while Seaterm is sending a command or receiving data, so one command does
not interrupt another.
- SBE 37 and SBE 39: Send 5-second break has been added to
Communications menu. A 5-second break in an SBE 37-SM and 39 exits Serial
Line Sync mode, allowing instrument to accept commands.
Seaterm VERSION 1.06
28 April 2000
- When uploading by cast, Seaterm was putting the header for cast 0 in all
files, regardless of what cast was uploaded.
Seaterm VERSION 1.05
07 April 2000
- SBE 35
and 35RT: Seaterm was not allowing enough time for response from the
SBE 35 or 35RT when it was cabled through the SBE 11plus to the SBE 9plus.
- SBE 35 and 35RT: Disabled (grayed) Stop button on toolbar, which is not applicable
for SBE 35 or 35RT.
Seaterm VERSION 1.04
06 April 2000
- SBE 35 and 35RT: Upload from toolbar and menu were not working properly.
- SBE 35 and 35RT: Disabled (grayed) Diagnostics button on toolbar, which is not applicable
for SBE 35 or 35RT.
Seaterm VERSION 1.03
04 April 2000
- SBE 39: Upload from toolbar and menu were not working properly.
- SBE 37 (37-SM and 37-IM): Disabled (grayed) buttons that are not applicable for Upload
settings in Configuration Options dialog box.
- Added text wrap to Command/Data Echo Area.
- Resized baud rate box in Configuration Options dialog box.
Seaterm VERSION 1.02
28 February 2000
- SBE 19 SeaCAT with EPROM less than 3.0: Seaterm was not properly decoding
Seaterm VERSION 1.01
17 February 2000
- SBE 37-SM, SBE
37-SI, and SBE 39: 300 and 600 were incorrectly listed as
available baud rates.
- RS-485 instruments: Diagnostics and Status buttons didn't work correctly.
- SBE 45: Connect button didn't work correctly.
- SBE 39: Upload button didn't work correctly.
- Upload button didn't work correctly if there was a cast with no data.
- Added interface to SBE 38 Digital Oceanographic
- Added interface to SBE 44 Underwater Inductive
- Added ability to select whether to have Seaterm cycle through all baud
rates when attempting to connect, or just connecting at selected rate (see
- SBE 11: Disabled (grayed) buttons that are not applicable -- Stop
button for all SBE 11 and disabled Connect and Disconnect buttons for SBE 11
- SBE 45: Disabled (grayed) button that is not applicable -- Stop button.
Seaterm VERSION 1.00
21 January 2000
Initial release of Win 95/98/NT terminal program.
26 Dec 2012