A wholly owned subsidiary of Danaher Corporation (NYSE: DHR), Sea-Bird Electronics is an international corporation headquartered in Bellevue, Washington. Sea-Bird is the largest manufacturer of marine instruments for measurement of salinity, temperature, pressure, dissolved oxygen, and related oceanographic variables. We offer an entrepreneurial environment that is team-centered, customer-driven, quality-focused, and growth-oriented. Working at Sea-Bird gives you access to a robust career development process and challenging "stretch" opportunities.
Working at Sea-Bird
- Commitment to associate safety and product quality
- Creative work schedule solutions and options
- Solution-focused team environment
- More than a job, a real chance to make a difference
We offer flexible and comprehensive benefits to help meet the needs of today's varied lifestyles. We offer our associates a benefits package that includes, but is not limited to:
- Health, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Short- & Long-Term Disability
- Associate Life Insurance
- Holiday and Vacation pay
- Flex Spending
Sea-Bird Electronics is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. It is our policy to recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job titles, without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected characteristic, and to base decisions on employment so as to further the principle of equal employment opportunity. We follow all AA/ADAAA guidelines and are a non-smoking facility. We strongly support health, wellness, and safety, and are a drug and alcohol free workplace and test all new hires.
This company is a federal contractor subject to the affirmative action and non-discrimination requirements of Executive Order 11246, as amended, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, and, the Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974, 38 USC Section 4212, as amended. The implementing regulations at 41 CFR 60-1.4, 41 CFR 60-250.5, 300.5 and 741.5 are incorporated here by reference.
Danaher is a Fortune 200, NYSE-listed, science and technology leader that designs, manufactures, and markets innovative products and services to professional, medical, industrial, and commercial customers. Our premier brands are among the most highly recognized in each of the markets we serve. The Danaher Business System provides a foundation to our 63,000 associates around the world, serving customers in more than 125 countries. In 2012, we generated $18.3 billion of revenue from five reporting segments: Test & Measurement, Environmental, Dental, Life Sciences & Diagnostics, and Industrial Technologies. For more information, please visit our website: www.danaher.com
Sea-Bird Scientific has an immediate opening for a Product Manager. This position will be located at one of Sea-Bird Scientific’s locations: Bellevue WA; Philomath OR; or Halifax NS. This individual will be responsible for product management of a segment of Sea-Bird Scientific’s product families.
- Lead Voice of Customer (VOC) plans and implementation for assigned product family.
- Develop and maintain product roadmaps for assigned product family.
- Lead competitive research and analysis for assigned product family.
- Lifecycle management activities for existing products.
- Create, validate, and test functional requirements for new products.
- Manage idea generation, development, and launch schedule for new products.
- Develop and maintain business cases for existing and new products, including pricing development, market evaluation and tracking, and sales performance analysis.
- Travel to support conferences, meet with customers, and other business needs as required.
EDUCATION, BACKGROUND, AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Degree level - B.S. or B.A. [in Physics, Engineering, Oceanography, or Optics preferable], MBA / post grad Marketing / Sales training highly desirable. M.S. or Ph.D. in Oceanographic technical discipline highly desirable.
- 2 years previous experience in product management preferable.
- Field experience with Oceanographic instrumentation including physical oceanographic sensors and optical sensors preferable.
- Experience with use and design of optical instrumentation preferable.
- Proven ability to work independently and proactively.
- Proven ability to work effectively within a functional team with other functional groups and to adapt to new situations. Clear and effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational and planning or project management skills.
- In-depth analytical skills in gathering and interpreting data, formulating conclusions, and developing strategies and actionable conclusions based on analysis.
Sea-Bird Scientific was formed in 2010 by the union of Sea-Bird Electronics (Bellevue, WA), WET Labs (Philomath, OR) and Satlantic (Halifax, NS) (wholly owned subsidiaries of Danaher Corporation (NYSE: DHR)). Through the combination of the Sea-Bird Electronics, WET Labs, and Satlantic product lines, Sea-Bird Scientific is the world’s leading provider of advanced technology for oceanographic research. The Sea-Bird Scientific group of companies design, manufacture and market oceanographic instrumentation and systems that enable the world’s leading scientists to push the boundaries of ocean knowledge. Sea-Bird Scientific works with a global network of international representatives and partners to serve customers in more than 30 countries around the world. Our dedicated team is comprised of individuals with diverse backgrounds and interests with a common goal of serving the world’s oceanographic community with leading edge technology and solutions. We offer an entrepreneurial environment that is team-centered, customer-driven, quality-focused, and growth-oriented. Working at one of the Sea-Bird Scientific companies gives you access to a robust career development process and challenging "stretch" opportunities.
This position is responsible for calibration of various oceanographic instruments under the direction of the Operations Supervisor.
- Use proprietary software to view daily work assignments, begin and end calibrations, track instrument calibrations and track equipment performance.
- Communicate with necessary departments to set work priorities.
- Perform pressure tests with manual Deadweight Pressure Tester.
- Perform pressure tests with automatic Hydraulic Pressure Tester.
- Sort calibration data and program instruments.
- Evaluate sensor performance and calibration results, with supervisor oversight.
- After calibration, transport instruments to different departments or storage areas within the company.
- Maintain units on storage shelves, including database tracking and inventory.
- Report problems with instruments or equipment to a supervisor/lead and perform basic troubleshooting.
- Perform pH calibrations.
- Assign pH sensors to upcoming jobs.
- Perform additional tasks as assigned, including assistance with temperature/conductivity calibrations, equipment and lab maintenance.
Education, Background, and Skill Requirements:
- HS Diploma, or equivalent required.
- 2 year electronics degree or equivalent experience preferred.
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to perform precise procedures consistently.
- Mechanical and electrical troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to easily learn new computer software systems.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (including Access).
- Ability to effectively interact with coworkers, vendors, and other office staff.
- Work an eight (8) hour shift and overtime when required to meet deadlines.
- History of good employment attendance and punctuality.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Ability to see and hear well (either naturally or with correction) and speak clearly.
- Coordinate the movement of your eyes, hands, or fingers.
- Physical requirements included: bending, reaching, sitting, squatting, walking, and standing.
- Frequent computer screen and keyboard use.
- Lift up to thirty (30) pounds individually, and/or fifty (50) plus pounds with assistance periodically during your shift.