APPLICATION NOTE NO. 67
Editing Sea-Bird .hex Data Files
After acquiring real-time .hex data or uploading .hex data from CTD memory, users sometimes want to edit the header to add or change explanatory notes about the cast. Some text editing programs modify the file in ways that are not visible to the user (such as adding or removing carriage returns and line feeds), but that corrupt the format and prevent further processing by SEASOFT (both DOS and Windows versions). This Application Note provides details on one way to edit a .hex data file with a text editor while retaining the required format. The procedure described below has been found to work correctly on computers running Win 98, Win 2000, and Win NT. If the editing is not performed using this technique, SEASOFT may reject the data file and give you an error message.
* Sea-Bird SBE 21 Data File:
* FileName = C:\Odis\SAT2-ODIS\oct14-19\oc15_99.hex
* Software Version Seasave Win32 v1.10
* Temperature SN = 2366
* Conductivity SN = 2366
* System UpLoad Time = Oct 15 1999 10:57:19
* Testing adding header lines
* Must start with an asterisk
* Can be placed anywhere between System Upload Time and END of header
* NMEA Latitude = 30 59.70 N
* NMEA Longitude = 081 37.93 W
* NMEA UTC (Time) = Oct 15 1999 10:57:19
* Store Lat/Lon Data = Append to Every Scan and Append to .NAV File When <Ctrl F7> is Pressed
** Ship: Sea-Bird
** Cruise: Sea-Bird Header Test
You are about to save the document in a Text-Only format, which will remove all formatting. Are you sure you want to do this?
Ignore the message and click Yes.
NOTE: This Application Note does not apply to .dat data files. Sea-Bird is not aware of a technique for editing a .dat file that will not corrupt the file.
Last modified: 26 Dec 2012
Sea-Bird Home Phone: (+1) 425-643-9866 Fax: (+1) 425-643-9954 E-mail: email@example.com